Today’s post is very big on step by step general awareness for living and managing erectile dysfunction.
The emotional impact of ED can have on a man and his partner be just as difficult. I was angry, frustrated, sad and confidence was shattered during those nightmare times. Maybe you are feeling the same.
If you are the spouse of someone’s affected, this article will help you to understand what your partner is going through and how you can help him out.
ED is a mind-boggling issue and needs to be addressed in time else it will become a bedroom hot topic.
You have the responsibility to be happy and joyful and keep your family in a happy state. Your tension will be reflected in your family too so take it slow and manage erectile dysfunction.
This is just a guideline to manage your erectile dysfunction and doesn’t need to be followed exactly as described.
- 1. Manage your relationship:
- 2. Improve your Sleep cycle:
- 3. Managing erectile dysfunction with balanced Diet:
- 4. Managing erectile dysfunction with exercise:
- 5. Manage your perception and state of mind towards erectile dysfunction:
- 6. Refrain from porn addiction and No FAP:
- 7. Visit the sex therapist and specialist doctors:
- 8. What’s next conventional treatment if the above treatment doesn’t work:
- 9. Last resort if none of the above ED treatments help:
1. Manage your relationship:
The first step in addressing your concerns about ED is, to be honest with yourself, your partner, and your doctor.
It’s possible to have a fulfilling sexual relationship even if you can’t maintain an erection. While you go through the ED phase, research other forms of intimacy if you have a partner.
Many other sex positions can be tried which you and your partner enjoy. Many couples actually enjoy other forms of intimacy, so open communication on this topic is more crucial than ever.
Sometimes, men try to blame impotence on their partner but it’s not true. Your partner may start to think that she is no longer attractive to you which will affect her self-esteem.
- If you have a spouse/girlfriend, you should explain to her about your problem and if needed, seek a relationship counselor help. If your partner wants to leave you after opening up and while you’re trying to get better seeking treatment, then your partner was in a relationship with you for the wrong reasons.
- If you are single and have sufficient time left to get married, then I propose you to start your treatment soon conservatively to aggressively and fix your ED before engaging in a relationship.
- If you are single and fall within marriageable age, then you should try to work aggressively in finding a definite solution for ED. Many times parents get anxious about what’s happening with their child. Their increased anxiety will then affect you. Sharing your vulnerability with parents will relax you and your parents. Sharing vulnerabilities with loved ones should increase trust.
Having a supportive partner is very necessary during this time. If still because of some reason the relationship doesn’t work, then you are better off single and find someone more supportive.
Erectile dysfunction is treatable. It may take some time to fix your erectile dysfunction because everyone’s ED reason is different and everyone’s treatment is different to fix it. But at last, it will be treated
2. Improve your Sleep cycle:
Several studies have found links between erectile dysfunction and sleep loss. In a research 401 men who had sleeping disorders came for testing.
Of those who were diagnosed with sleep apnea, 70% also has erectile dysfunction this concreting the belief that sleep disorder can cause ED.
The good news is that often with the treatment of the sleep disorder, the sexual dysfunction improves dramatically, thereby enhancing energy, mood, and overall quality of life.
So, if you have trouble sleeping, try to gradually progress to maintain your waking and sleeping time. Try to wake up exactly at the same time every day, preferably in the morning no matter at what time you went to bed and you will start to see positive effects on your health.
Studies show getting 10-30 minutes of sunlight as soon as you wake up and minimizing exposure to artificial/electrical lights (especially blue/white lights) before bed aids sleep well.
In a nutshell, good vitamin D exposure is necessary for managing erectile dysfunction and some researches have linked vitamin D deficiency to ED.
3. Managing erectile dysfunction with balanced Diet:
This is simple, your tummy says about your health. If you eat healthier, your erection will be more strong. Cake and pie may taste like heaven, but you’ll regret them when you turn 37!
- Consider adding more whole grain food and less junk food and avoid heavy meals before bed. Breakfast is a must for all and avoid skipping it. You can find many studies that relate to skipping your breakfast may cause health loss. Add ground nuts, walnuts, and sprouts to breakfast
- Obese people should try to reduce weight by cardio exercise and intermittent fasting. It’s the best way to fight it.
- Nitric acid-producing food is good for ED therefore add beets, garlic, Meat, Dark chocolate, leafy Greens, Citrus fruits, watermelon, celery, pomegranates, oysters, nuts, Walnuts, etc. You don’t have to have all of them. Just take it sometimes.
- Take 4 pieces of garlic with honey at night before going to bed. It’s good for erection. I take it every day.
- I am fond of health supplements and I always consider taking organic and ayurvedic health supplements that are free of chemicals.
- You can look into supplements having organic l arginine, horny goat weed, citrulline, pycnogenol, Tribulus, ginseng, zinc, maca, cocoa powder, vitamins, and minerals, ashwagandha, shilajit, spirulina, etc.
- If possible, take one capsule of each Patanjali shilajit, ashwagandha, and spirulina before breakfast.
Act healthy. Be healthy. Eat healthy. Always go for healthy food, not for junk.
4. Managing erectile dysfunction with exercise:
Believe me, exercise is very necessary for managing erectile dysfunction and improve erection quality.
- If you are never into exercise, first try to let your body bear the fatigue by doing a brisk walk. Gradually then jump to moderate exercise for example cardio and weight.
- Cardio exercise improves your cardiovascular system thus improving blood flow to the penis. In short, do 30 minutes of running, plank, burpee, lunges, etc.
- You may also try stretching, yoga, foam rolling, and a few massages for recovery.
- If you don’t get the motivation to workout, better choose some fun and interesting sports or classes or swimming.
- Obesity attracts ED so I humbly request to manage your weight.
- A sedentary lifestyle is a big reason for weak erection. Be active and improve your sexual health
- If your work requires sitting for long hours, don’t be still and stiff. Slowly move and flex your muscles in the chair and bring this to your habit. Walk little steps every 45 minutes. Slowly it will become a habit and you’ll find yourself doing without thinking.
The Human Body Is Designed to Move – When we stop moving, we stop living, which is why staying active is the number one desire of people as they age.
5. Manage your perception and state of mind towards erectile dysfunction:
To carry a positive action, we must first develop a positive vision. If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects.
In addition to all of the above, your state of mind matters. Lamenting over your luck is not going to benefit you but a positive focus towards life will.
I know, you may find it impractical to be happy when you are sad from the soul.
I would like to apprise you how I was managing erectile dysfunction for 3 years is by simply diverting my mind to interesting activities.
- Firstly, learn to explore the area what happy people do to be happy
- Secondly, try to distract your mind by various means such as building a close relationship with the people you love, keep a pet, socialize with people who make you happy
- You can try alternate things for instance join the laughing club, be more affectionate, join NGO as a volunteer, learn a new hobby, practice guitar or any musical instrument you love
- You may also explore new avenues to earn more money, build a business, learn to grow your skills and career
- Join meditation club, try yoga, going out to get some sun/vitamin D, relaxing, etc
- Refrain from doing what unhappy people do in excess for example drinking, smoking, drugs, sedentary lifestyle, toxic relationship, junk food, etc
Above all, you should imbibe doing the things which you could not do because of your busy life.
Talking about myself, in those periods, I joined an NGO, learned guitar, made some casual relationships, joined a toastmaster club to improve my English, and shun away stage fear.
6. Refrain from porn addiction and No FAP:
There is much debate about whether porn addiction causes impotence or not. Be cautious if anyone claims that abstaining from porn is a guaranteed solution.
Also, abstaining from masturbation for long period fixes ED is also debatable. So, think prudently before joining such forums.
Your decision should be scientifically and medically proven and not a fluke.
- To clarify, if you get a good erection during watching porn and sex, you fail then physical causes are ruled out. You would be having either performance anxiety or pron induced ED.
- Just abstain from porn for at least 1.5 months. It will rewire your mind from the virtual world to the real world. Now test yourself to see any improvement in ED. If you see slight improvement then carry on with your abstinence from porn
- If you don’t see good improvement after porn abstinence, then you should visit a counselor for performance anxiety.
- If you face ED during watching porn and sex, then the physical problems cannot be ruled out.
In short, be honest to yourself, if porn is guzzling up most of your time and your mind is always engaged in porn, then it’s time to move on. Abstain from porn if you’re spending too much time on short term pleasure, instead of building things that’ll make you happier long term.
7. Visit the sex therapist and specialist doctors:
While working on natural ED treatments, find at least 1 good doctor who is specialized in ED for instance Urologist, sexologist, and endocrinologist. Also, try to find 1 doctor who can do full body checkup to assess overall health.
Now firstly, search a good ED doctor.
Search ED doctor:
- Best would be to find a good doctor by word of mouth through someone you know who has solved his problem consulting that doctor.
- If you don’t know anyone who has such information, the next best source to find a good sex doctor is the internet, Quora, and ED forums.
- Check recommendations and review by googling “Best sexologist in <your city>” or “erectile dysfunction doctor near me”.
- Join online forums, communities, Facebook groups, Instagram page, Facebook page, Quora space to discuss and gather more information about any better treatment available.
- Don’t fall in the trap of quacks and white collared commercialized doctors who will guzzle up your hard-earned money. Want to know how to identify a genuine ED doctor, click here.
- In short, be brave and face the truth. Be truthful to the doctors about your condition.
If you hide your problem, you lose your sex life.
Visit the doctor and assess your ED type:
The next big leap to move towards managing erectile dysfunction is to visit the doctor. After you find a good doctor in your city, visit him and explain what is going on in your life. Tell him all how long you have been facing ED and what treatment is best for you.
- The doctor will check if you are depressed, stressed, anxious and hence try to determine the root cause of your ED
- A good doctor will ask you about your erection quality during morning wood, masturbation, and sex
- By asking such questions, he may try to assess your impotence type, in other words, psychological or physical ED.
- ED and depression go side by side. If your depression or performance anxiety is causing ED, then his goal here would be to treat the cause of depression or performance anxiety. Generally, if you get morning wood while sleeping, and erections while masturbating then it could be psychological
- If your ED is from a physical cause, that may cause depression where the root cause of depression is not psychological, but physical. So the primary goal here is to treat the physical cause.
It’s been said that erectile dysfunction in young men is generally caused by psychological causes and older men are more prone to physical causes.
The doctor may ask tests to find the root cause of ED:
You visited the doctor and spoken to him about your condition. He may ask you to have some necessary tests to be done to concrete his findings.
You are confident that your problem is because of physical problem and still doctor has not asked for tests, then find a better doctor or request him for the tests.
If your weak erection is because of psychological causes, then he may send you to some counselor or psychologist or psychiatrist without any tests.
- The doctor shall ask you to undergo tests
- Blood pressure
- Vitamin D
- Penile doppler tests
Managing erectile dysfunction is better because it could be an early sign of any bigger problem on the way. Erectile dysfunction can be a sign of one of the deadliest disease in many countries, heart disease.
Diabetes and cholesterol also play a major role in weakening the erection quality. So, be informed that being healthy is important for your sex life.
Treatment doctor will prescribe:
- For starters, doctors may prescribe you PDE5 inhibitors for example Viagra(sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), Levitra, etc. These medicines are prescribed as the first line of treatment for all the cases or ED
- If you have psychological ED, the PDE5 inhibitor will boost your confidence. Take it as needed while continuing lifestyle changes. You will find one day you no longer require such medicine and your problem will be long gone.
- If you have physical ED, you can continue taking PDE5 inhibitors as long as it works. These medicines have some side effects too but if you take it for 4-5 times, the body will get used to medicines and side effects will be subdued.
- In India, doctors prescribe ayurvedic medicines too for instant erection and for health supplements.
8. What’s next conventional treatment if the above treatment doesn’t work:
Managing erectile dysfunction is really a challenge if pills don’t work. Because the first line of treatment present is PDE5 inhibitor pills.
So what’s next now if pills don’t work
- Cock ring – Next thing you can try is cock ring if you gain sufficient erection but not able to maintain it. You can find cock rings here. Do not wear the ring for longer periods i.e 20 minutes and more. This is a cheap solution.
- Must read: Buy cock rings from here. Use coupon code JV5OFF for 5% discount if the total value is above Rs 500.
- Vacuum Pump – You can try a vacuum pump and it’s one of the best and cheap erection solutions. Here, I am not saying ED treatment because it doesn’t provide a permanent solution.
- Penile Injection – Most popular penile injections are called trimix or bimix. It sounds painful, but it isn’t. Just feels like a prick once experienced.
These are the most popular conventional treatment options. While having the treatment mentioned above, you may consider low-risk experimental ED treatments which is quite promising and safe.
- Shockwave Therapy – Considerable cheap and cost-effective when you do it with devices made for home use.
- Pelvic Floor exercise – If you look at the feedback by many people, it sounds very promising to try preferably you have pain near the pelvic region.
If none of the above works, even after trying all the above treatments, then the doctor may suggest you go for TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) if you have low testosterone.
You should first try to increase testosterone by lifestyle change and then consider TRT. It is actually a controversial therapy and doesn’t guarantee a cure. Run a search and you will also find that it contributes to heart diseases.
Testosterone helps in lifting sex drive(libido) therefore it is likely to help with it.
Many surveys hint that high doses of steroids/ testosterone contribute to the most dreaded disease i.e heart disease. Though it’s not very clear that low therapeutic doses contribute to heart disease.
Mixed surveys are showing low testosterone is as bad as well.
It’s really difficult to say what is legitimate so my suggestion is to try to fix your low T problem with lifestyle changes naturally. If it doesn’t work then it’s worth giving a try but with discretion.
Make sure you find a well knowledgable doctor on TRT.
if the specialist just checks your testosterone level and doesn’t check estradiol and SHBG, at that point your primary care physician isn’t educated on TRT. Find a new one who is.
I’ll refrain from making doctor recommendations here, so this doesn’t sound like marketing. Instead, ask me or search “TRT specialists” on google.
9. Last resort if none of the above ED treatments help:
If you have tried every possible treatment above and nothing works, then you can try the following treatment options.
- Penile Implant – This is always available as a last resort option. It’s definitely on the table. As per feedback, it has shown a high satisfaction rate but there are some horrendous stories too.
So, do your proper research before opting for this treatment.
You should always find a specialist in penile implant and who has good experience in implants.
There are many types of implants so choose wisely as per your need and cost.
If cost is an issue, look for well-recommended doctors in places with a lower cost of living, but you MUST take the time to make sure the doctor doing the implant is good.
Here, I am not recommending any doctor because again it may sound like marketing. Better contact me to ask or search online.
- Stem cell therapy / P shot – Another new-age advanced treatment option is Stem cell therapy. It’s a highly promising and scientific treatment.
You can try this option if you are young and don’t want to go for a penile implant. Mostly it is recommended if you have exhausted all the above conventional treatment options.
If your ED is mild, then adjust it with ED pills, but if you suffer from moderate to severe ED, stem cell therapy is a must-try if the cost is not an issue.
Here, though I know the best stem cell therapy clinic, I refrain from making clinic recommendation because it may feel like marketing. Better, contact me personally for it.
What’s proposed here may change after some time as more is found out. Don’t hesitate to include your feedback. Contributor names will be added to the post. In short, help our ED bros for managing erectile dysfunction.
Disclaimer: I’m not a medical doctor and am only trying to help based on personal experiences. Learn from doctors, but also learn from others who have similar problems as you!
Hi, I’m Abhay Singh. The creator of this blog edbyebye and howtocuremyed.
I suffered from erectile dysfunction in my mid-20s. I could not believe my misery and bad luck.
EDbyebye reflects my experiences and knowledge I acquired during my suffering period. It explains how I tried various remedies and treatments and how I finally found a permanent solution.
EDbyebye is my way of sharing my experiences and guiding you to find your treatment.
Join our community and share your valuable thoughts.